Laboratory of BAS Strain-Producers and Biosynthesis
Vahe Tariel Ghochikyan, PhD in Biology, Head of lab.
Andranik Akob Vardanyan, PhD in Engineering, Sci. adviser
Susanna Ghazar Keleshyan, PhD in Biology, Leading Researcher
Gayane Yervand Avetisova, PhD in Biology, Leading Researcher
Lusine Hovhannes Melkonyan, PhD in Biology, Senior Researcher
Lessing Sisak Ghazaryan, PhD in Physico-Mathematicaly, Senior Researcher
Hakob Karlen Karagulyan, PhD in Biology, Senior Researcher
Luiza Stepan Manukyan, PhD in Biology, Researcher
Samvel Khachik Stepanyan, PhD in Biology, Researcher
Zhaneta Vladimir Karapetyan, Researcher
Rudik Vasil Paronyan, PhD in Chemistry, Engineer
Karine Baghshi Afyan, Junior Researcher
Anna Gevorg Toplaghaltsyan, Junior Researcher
Sofya Armenak Martirosyan, Senior lab. Assistant
Anahit Paruyr Matevosyan, Lab. assistant
Laboratory of BAS Strain-Producers and Biosynthesis was established in 2018 on the basis of the Laboratories of Biosynthesis and Agricultural Biotechnology.
Production of L-and D-amino acid strain-producers, inulin, α- and β-cyclodextrins, cyclofructans, syrups – glucose-fructose, inulopolysaccharides, fructose-polysaccharides, enzymes – bactorenin, inulinase, CGTase, CFTase, α-amilase, glucamilase, biofertilizers, bioinsecticides, A-transglycosidation of stevioside and rebaudioside of Stevia Rebaudiana Bertoni plant’s sweet glycosides, maintenance of strain-producers’ collection.
- Production of biologically active substances by microbiological and biocatalytic methods, development of technologies, improvement, organization of manufacture.
- Obtaining of BAS strain-producers by genetic and selective methods, study of their physiological and biochemical features.
- Separation and study of nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Based on them development of technologies for the production of biofertilizers of various usage by the biotechnological method.
Development of modern production technologies for obtaining biologically active substances by microbial and biocatalytic methods and organization of manufacture in food industry, pharmaceutics and agriculture.
- Yerevan State University
- National Polytechnic University of Armenia
- Institute of Biochemistry of NAS RA
- “Scientific Center of Vegetable and Industrial Crops of the Ministry of Agriculture of RA” SNPO
- State Research Institute of Genetics and Selection of Industrial Microorganisms (Moscow, Russia)
- “Evonik Degussa GmbH” (Germany, France)
- Institute of Microbiology of the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (Xinjiang province, China)
- UK National Committee, Royal Science Committee
- Institute of Microbiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- Institute of Microbiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
- P.N. Lebedev Physical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Biophysics (Moscow, Russia)
- St. Petersburg State Technological Institute (Technical University)
- ISTC # A-326: “Preparation and Use of Cyclodextrin Derivatives for Treatment of Radiation Polluted Wastes” (2000-2002). Manager, PhD V.H. Abelyan.
- ISTC # A-683: “Investigation of a new type of water soluble natural biologically active melanin: development of the technology for biosynthesis: extraction and purification; study of the chemical structure, physiological activity” (2002-2005). Manager, D.Sc., Professor, NAS RA Academician A.S. Saghiyan.
- ISTC # A-649: “Benzo[h]quinazolines: Chemical and Enzymatic Synthesis and Study” (2003-2006). Manager, PhD A.I. Markosyan.
- ANSEF Grant #N537-NS biotech: “Improvement of Citric Acid and its Salts Production Technologies” (2007). Supervisor, PhD A.E. Aghajanyan.
- ISTC #А-1868: “Development of the new production technology of ecologically safe complex biofertilizer based on nitrogen-fixing microorganisms and modified zeolites” (2010-2012). Manager, PhD G.E. Avetisova.
- ISTC #A-1866: “Natural Biological Substances (peptides) with Bactericidal Properties toward Various Pathogens” (2010-2013). Manager, PhD F.N. Tkhruni.
- State Committee of Science of MES RA Thematic Grant #13-2I359: “Cloning of genes of alfa-amylase and glucoamylase of technological value and characterization of corresponding enzymes” (2013-2015). Leading Resaercher, PhD A.A. Hambardzumyan.
- Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Short Term Conference and Travel Grant #137270 (2014), PhD L.H. Melkonyan.
- State Committee of Science of MES RA Grant #16YR-2I016: “Obtaining strain-producer of ɑ-amylase on the basis of ɑ-amylase gene of Bacillus amyloliquifaciens and characterization of the recombinant enzyme” (2016-2018). Manager, PhD A.M. Paloyan.• State Committee of Science of MES RA Grant #16YR-2I016: “Obtaining strain-producer of ɑ-amylase on the basis of ɑ-amylase gene of Bacillus amyloliquifaciens and characterization of the recombinant enzyme” (2016-2018). Manager, PhD A.M. Paloyan.
- Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Short Term Conference and Travel Grant #203719 (2017), PhD L.H. Melkonyan.
- State Committee of Science of MES RA Grant #16YR-2I068: “Directed modification of recombinant D-hydantoinase of Geobacillus stearothermophilus for improvement of its catalytic properties” (2016-2018). Manager, PhD H.A. Aganyants.
- State Committee of Science of MES RA Grant #ՀԲ16-15: “Influence of salting on nitrogen-fixing microflora of the Armenian and Belarusian soils. Obtaining new strains for the treatment of saline soils" (2017-2019). Manager, PhD S.Gh. Keleshyan.
- Agreement between biochemical factory of Tripolye (Ukraine) and Armenian Research Technological Institute of Amino Acids (presently SPC “Armbiotechnology” NAS RA, SNPO) on the assessment, purchase and sale of L-lysine strain-producer (1990).
- Agreement between Degussa Company (Germany) and the RA Scientific Research Institute of Biotechnology (presently SPC “Armbiotechnology” NAS RA, SNPO) on the purchase and sale of L-proline strain-producer (1993).
- Agreement between the Scientific Research Institute of Applied Microbiology of the Agricultural Academy of China Xinjiang Province and the RA Scientific Research Institute of Biotechnology (presently SPC “Armbiotechnology” NAS RA, SNPO) on scientific and experimental research: “Study, improvement and transfer of L-proline, L-alanine and L-histidine strain-producers” (2001-2004).
- Agreement between Degussa/Rexim Company (Germany) and the RA Scientific Research Institute of Biotechnology (presently SPC “Armbiotechnology” NAS RA, SNPO) on the assessment, purchase and sale of proline strain-producer (2004-2005).
- Agreement between “Evonik Degussa GmbH” and the RA Scientific Research Institute of Biotechnology (presently SPC “Armbiotechnology” NAS RA, SNPO) on the assessment, purchase and sale of L-histidine strain-producer (2008).
Patented technology for the production of “Azoceovit-1” biofertilizer has been developed and a large-scale production of it has been organized on the experimental and industrial base of the SPC “Armbiotechnology” of NAS RA.
Production technology of “Ecobiofeed+” biological preparation has been developed and currently it is being manufactured on the experimental and industrial base of the SPC “Armbiotechnology” of NAS RA.
The method of inulin production from various plant raw materials has been improved enabling to increase the purity and yield of the final product – inulin.
The technology of obtaining α- and β-cyclodextrins from starch has been developed, which allows to produce cyclodextrins with pharmaceutical purity.
The method of transglycosidation of Stevia Rebaudiana Bertoni plant’s sweet glycosides by CGTase has been developed for improving aftertaste features of stevioside and rebaudioside A.
Shaker (Innova 43 “New Brunswick Scientific”, USA)
- Thermostat (Wisd WiseCube WIG “DAIHAN Scientific”, South Korea)
- Automatic Polarimeter (PLRA-2 “mrc LTD”, Israel)
- Microscope (Leica DM500 trinocular, Digital Camera EC3 “Leica Microsystem GmbH”, Germany)
- Bacterial colony counter (ColonyStar “Funke Gerber”, Germany)
- Electronic balance (SVI 50/5 “Sartorius”, Germany)
- Electronic balance (ECON EC2100d “Acculab”, Germany)
- Electronic balance (ECON EC210d1 “Acculab”, Germany)
- pH-Meter (Piccolo Plus “HANNA Istruments”, Germany)
- Refractometer (Master-53T “ATAGO”, Japan)
- Water bath (JULABO SW-23, Germany)
- 3 l, 10 l, 250 l and 5000 l Bioreactors
- V.T. Ghochikyan, L.S. Manukyan, A.O. Tsaturyan, A.S. Saghyan, A.T. Ghochikyan, L.E. Hovhannisyan, G.U. Hovsepyan, M.A. Babakhanyan. Development of the efficient method for isolation of sweet glycosides from stevia (Stevia RebaudianA Bertoni)leaves grown in Republic of Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh // Biological Journal of Armenia, 2016, v. 68, № 1, pp. 70-74
- A.Kh. Chakhalyan, S.Gh. Keleshyan, Zh.V. Karapetyan, A.G. Davtyan, G.Y. Avetisova, L.H. Melkonyan, A.S. Dadayan, A.S. Saghyan. The inhibitory properties of new non-protein amino acids and the screening of effective analogs of L-amino acids for the selection of highly active strain-producers // Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, 2016, v. 52, № 1, pp. 51-55.
- A.E. Aghajanyan, A.A. Vardanyan, A.S. Hovsepyan, A.A. Hambardzumyan, V. Filipenia, A.S. Saghyan. Development of technology for obtaining water-soluble bacterial melanin and determination of some of pigment properties // Journal of biotechnology computational biology and bionanotechnology, 2017, v. 98, № 4, pp. 315-322.
- S.K. Keleshyan, Zh.V. Karapetyan, A.Kh. Chakhalyan, N.A. Hovhannisyan, G.Ye. Avetisova, M.B. Chitchyan, G.G. Oganezova, M.A. Melkumyan,
N.S. Avetisyan, L.H. Melkonyan Influence of Glutamate Dehydrogenase Activity on L-Proline Synthesis, Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, 2017, Vol. 53, №5, pp. 470-476.
- Toplaghaltsyan A., Bazukyan I., Trchounian A., The effects of different carbon sources on the antifungal activity by lactic acid bacteria, N.Y., ''Current Microbiology'', v.74, N2, 2017, pp. 168-174.
- L.H. Melkonyan, S.Kh. Stepanyan, G.Ye. Avetisova, K.M. Sarikyan New “Ecobiofeed +” biopreparation for organic agruculture and its testing on planting stocks of tomato in Armenia //International Scientific-practical Conference of Young Scientists “Innovative Approaches And Perspective Ideas of Young Scientists in Agrarian Sciences”, November 17, 2017, Kainar, pp. 384-387.
Abstracts presented at Conferences
- Paloyan, L. Melkonyan, A. Mkhitaryan, A. Hambardzumyan, A. Saghyan Purification and characterization of α-amylase from Bacillus amyloliquifaciens // 7th Congress of European Microbiologists (FEMS). July 9-13, 2017, Valencia, Spain, 240.
- G. Avetisova, L. Melkonyan, S. Stepanyan, K. Sarikyan,
V. Ghochikyan, S. Keleshyan, Zh. Karapetyan, A. Toplaghaltsyan. Effect of “Ecobiofeed+” Biopreparation on Eggplant (Solanum Melongena L.) // 4th International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Biotechnology: Science and Practice”. September 28-30, 2017, Yerevan, Armenia, p. 63.
- Toplaghaltsyan, S. Keleshyan, Zh. Karapetyan, N. Khachaturian, G. Avetisova, L. Melkonyan, S. Stepanyan. Screening of lactic acid bacteria with a wide spectrum of antifungal activity // 4th International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Biotechnology: Science and Practice”. September 28-30, 2017, Yerevan, Armenia, pp. 66-67.
- th International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Biotechnology: Science and Practice”. September 28-30, 2017, Yerevan, Armenia, p. 103.
- V.H. Abelyan, V.T. Ghochikyan, A.A. Markosyan, M.O. Adamyan, L.A. Abelyan. Extraction, separation and modification of sweet glycosides from the stevia rebaudiana plant // US 2006 / 0134292A1. 19 p.
- G.Ye. Avetisova, H.H. Sargsyan, L.H. Melkonyan, L.A. Chil-Hakobyan, A.Kh. Chakhalyan, R.G. Gevorgyan, A.H. Vardanyan, A.S. Saghiyan “Azotsevit-1” Method for obtaining ecologically pure complex biofertilizer // RA Patent No. 2232 A, 2008.
- A.H. Vardanyan, A.Ye. Aghajanyan, G.Ye. Avetisova, L.H. Melkonyan, A.Kh. Chakhalyan, A.S. Saghiyan “Method for obtaining L-alanine” // RA Patent No. 2239 A, 2008.
- G.Ye. Avetisova, L.H. Melkonyan, A.Kh. Chakhalyan, A.S. Saghyan “Method for obtaining L-alanine” // RA Patent No. 2691A, 2012.
- G.Ye. Avetisova “Method (options) for obtaining complex biological fertilizer based on nitrogen-fixing bacteria” // RA Patent No. 2713 A, 2013.
- A.Ye. Aghajanyan, F.N. Tkhruni, G. Hovhannisyan, K. Yeghyan, A. Vardanyan, A.S. Saghyan “Method for separation and purification of bioinhibitors from culture liquids” // RA Patent No. AM 20140080, 2015.
- Vardanyan, A. Aghajanyan, S. Harutyunyan “Method for obtaining D-amino acids from racemat” // RA Patent No. AM 20160008, 2017.