Laboratory of Ecological Safety
Laboratory of Ecological Safety was formed in 2017 on the basis of Metabolic Engineering Laboratory and 3 sectors of the Microbial Depository Center (MDC): spore-forming bacteria and actinomyces, nonspore-forming bacteria and lower and higher fungi. The main scientific fields of the laboratory are: biotechnology, microbiology, ecology.
RESEARCH MAIN DIRECTIONS
- Resistance of microorganisms to antibiotics and spread of resistant strains
- Entomopathogenic microorganisms as a means to combat pests and as alternatives to chemical insecticides and pesticides
- Biodegradation of synthetic compounds by microorganisms
- Discovery and study of new protease inhibitors
MAIN INVESTIGATION RESULTS
- Identification of antibiotic resistance genes and determination of their localization in the soil species of Pseudomonas and Xanthomonas genera have been implemented. Plasmids possessing antibiotic resistance genes have demonstrated a high level of stability in the soil species of Pseudomonas and Xanthomonas genera.
- Novel inhibitors of serine proteases and collagenase have been identified.
- Antimicrobial compounds able to inhibit antibiotic-resistant bacteria and phytopathogens have been discovered.
MAIN OBJECTIVES AND TASKS
- Improvement of biodegradation of synthetic and natural polymers
- Revelation of novel protease inhibitors with high selectivity
- Study of microbes genomes resistant to the soil multiple antibiotics
- Study of degradation enzymes produced by the strains included in the MDC collection
- Study of biological properties of compounds synthesized by synthetic amino acids, peptides and microbes
LIST OF GRANT PROJECTS
- 19YR-2I018 "Modeling, target synthesis of non-protein amino acids as potential inhibitors of collagenase enzyme and their activity in vitro study", 2019-2021 (Project Manager: Tatev Sargsyan, PhD)
- 18T-21036 “The genetic study of plasmids isolated from antibiotic-resistant Pseudomonas strains”, 2018 (Project Manager: A. Hovhannisyan, PhD, YSU).
- ANSEF microbio-5133: “Genetic study of plasmids from antibiotic-resistant Pseudomonas strains”, 2018 (Project Manager: A. Sargsyan, PhD).
- ISTC #A-2889 “Synthesis and screening of a new generation of optically active non-proteinogenic α-amino acids, peptides and polymers containing unsaturated groups in the side chain”, 2017-2020 (Project Manager: Academician of NAS RA, Prof. A. Saghyan).
- 15T-1F241 “The ways to overcome antibiotic resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Klebsiella pneumonia strains”, 2015-2017 (Project Manager: A. Hovhannisyan, PhD, YSU).
- Delegan Y., Sargsyan A., Hovhannisyan N., Babayan B., Petrikov K., Vainstein M. Analysis of genome sequence and trehalose lipid production peculiarities of the thermotolerant Gordonia strain // Journal of Basic Microbiology, 2020, v.60, 14-21.
- Shahinyan G.A., Dadayan A.S., Hovhannisyan N.A., Markarian Sh.A. Study of the interaction of novel nonprotein amino acids with trypsin by steady-state fluorescence spectroscopy // Journal of Fluorescence, 2020, v. 30, 229-233.
- Babayan B.G., Hovhannisyan N.A., Hovhannisyan A.M., Sargsyan A.S., Davidyan T.S. Resistance To β-Lactam Antibiotics In Some Soil Stenotrophomonas and Pseudomonas // The Scientific-Heritage, 2019, v.2, No 34, pp. 32-38.
- Babayan B.G. The Plasmid Differences In Multi-Drug Resistant Opportunistic Pathogenic Soil Strains of Pseudomonas and Stenotrophomonas // ISBN 9781645701347 4th International Conference on Medicine and Natural Sciences, 26-27 April, 2019, Amsterdam, Proceedings Book, pp. 5-10.
- Казанчян Н.Л., Киносян М.А., Тадевосян Н.С., Хачатурян Н.С., Африкян Э.Г. Brevibacillus laterosporus как перспективный источник получения новых биоинсектицидов // Annals of Agrarian Science, Georgia, 2018, v. 16, No. 4, pp. 413-415.
- Sargsyan A.S., Babayan B.G., Avetisyan N.S., Mkrtchyan A.G., Hovhannisyan A.M., Hovhannisyan N.A. Heterocyclic substituted non-protein amino acids as inhibitors of Clostridium histolyticum collagenase // Biological Journal of Armenia, 2018, v. 1 No. 70, pp. 12-15.
- Hovahannisyan N.A., Oganezova G.G., Melkumyan M.A., Avetisyan N.S., Hovhannisyan A.M., Kinosyan M., Chitchyan M.B. The response of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains to the action of synthetic amino acids and peptides // Proceedings of the Yerevan State University, 2017, v. 51, No. 1, pp. 54-57.
- Gevorgyan S.A., Khachaturyan N.S., Markosyan L.S., Afrikian E.G. Screening of fungal degradants for evaluation of biostability of synthetic polymeric materials // Biological Journal of Armenia, 2016, Special Issue, pp. 19-23.
Abstracts Presented at Conferences
- Babayan B.G, Hovhannisyan N.A., Melkumyan M.A., Sargsyan A.S. Inactivation of Macrovipera lebetina obtusa snake venom by enzymes of multidrug resistant Pseudomonas // ELSEVIER, Toxicon, v. 159, Supplement 1, 5 March 2019, p. S20.
- Melkumyan M.A., Hovhannisyan N.A., Ghazanchyan N.L., Khachaturyan N.S., Gevorgyan S.A., Babayan B.G., Sargsyan A.S. Entomopathogenes against phytopathogenes // In Abstarcts of FEMS International conference “Microbes: Biology and Application”, Yerevan. 2019, p. 43.
- Bagdasaryan S.A., Babayan B.G., Sargsyan A.S., Kinosyan M.A., Davidyan T.S., Hovhannisyan N.A. Study on the Pseudomonas genes coding polyphenol oxidases // In Abstarcts of FEMS International conference “Microbes: Biology and Application”, Yerevan,. 2019, p.21.
- Babayan B.G., Bagdasaryan S.A., Mikaelyan G.S., Kinosyan M.A., Davidyan T.S., Hovhannisyan N.A. Polysorbates biodegradation and the plasmid stability in soil opportunistic pathogenic strains of Stenotrophomas and Pseudomonas // In Abstracts of FEMS International conference “Microbes: Biology and Application”, Yerevan, 2019, p. 9.
- Babayan B.G., Sargsyan A.S., Bagdasaryan S.A., Melkumyan M.A., Hovhannisyan A.M., Hovhannisyan N.A. Antibiotic resistance genes of Pseudomonas and Stenotrophomonas isolated from soil // Regional Workshop: Alternative approaches to combating anti-microbial resistance. Almaty. Kazakhstan, 2019, pp. 31-32.
- Hovhannisyan N.A., Babayan B.G., Sargsyan A.S., Bagdasaryan S.A., Hovhannisyan A.M. Study on the stability of soil Pseudomonas and Xanthomonas plasmids possessing antibiotic resistance genes // In Abstracts of 2nd Annual Congress on Microbiology and Microbiologists and 6th International Conference on Mycology and Fungal Infections. Madrid. 2019, p. 24.
- Hovhannisyan N.A., Babayan B.G., Sargsyan A.S., Bagdasaryan S.A., Hovhannisyan A.M. Study on stability of soil Pseudomonas and Xanthomonas plasmids possessing antibiotic resistance genes // 2nd Annual Congress on Microbiology and Microbiologists and 6th International Conference on Mycology and Fungal Infections, October 7-9, 2019, Madrid, Spain, p. 24.
- Sargsyan A.S., Hovhannisyan A.M., Babayan B.G., Mkrtchyan A.A., Hovhannisyan N.A. Non-protein peptides – inhibitors of metalloproteases // International Conference “Enzyme biocatalysis and chemical biology: The new frontiers”, September 9-12, 2018, Pativa, Italy, p. 110-111. (Poster Presentation)
- Hovhannisyan A.M., Oganezova G.G., Melkumyan M.A., Avetisyan N.S., Chitchyan M.B., Sargsyan A.S., Mkrtchyan A.A., Hovhannisyan N.A. Novel synthetic amino acids and peptides demonstrating pharmacological properties // Abstracts of World Congress on Pharmacology and Chemistry of Natural Compounds, October 09-11, 2017, Tbilisi, Georgia, pp. 55-56.
- Hovhannisyan N., Oganezova G., Melkumyan M.A., Avetisyan N., Hovhannisyan A., Kinosyan M., Chitchyan M. Novel synthetic peptides inhibiting the growth of multi-drug resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains // Abstracts of 15th Naples Workshop on Bioactive Peptides, Italy, June, 2016, p. 131.
- Sargsyan T.H., Hovhannisyan N.A., Jamgaryan S.M., Gyulumyan E.A., Danghyan Yu.M., Tsaturyan A.N., Hovhannisyan A.M., Saghyan A.S. Synthesis and PASS prediction of novel biologically active short peptides // Abstracts of 15th Naples Workshop on Bioactive Peptides, Italy, June, 2016, p. 73.
- Sargsyan A.S., Hovhannisyan N.A. Novel inhibitors of collagenase // The 42nd ISOBM annual Congress “Oncology in the Biomarker Era”, October 3-7, 2015, Poland, p. S47. (Oral Presentation)