Laboratory of Protein Technologies
Laboratory of Energy Alternative Sources was founded in1972. The main scientific fields of the laboratory are: algology, microbiology, biotechnology.
RESEARCH MAIN DIRECTIONS
- Microalgae, cyanobacteria and purple (sulfur, non-sulfur) photosynthesizing bacteria in soil, mineral, fresh and marine environments with the special emphasis on biodiversity, systematics and secondary metabolism
- Renewable biomass efficient sources (microalgae, cyanobacteria) for fuels (biodiesel, bioethanol) and valuable biologically active substances (lipids, fatty acids, proteins, amino acids, carbohydrates, pigments, other bioadditives) production
- Maintenance of culture collections: microalgae, cyanobacteria, purple (sulfur, non-sulfur) photosynthesizing bacteria
MAIN INVESTIGATION RESULTS
- In the frames of basic financing a vast culture collection of microalgae, cyanobacteria and purple (sulfur, non-sulfur) photosynthesizing bacteria has been established.
- Growth conditions, yield of biomass, synthesis of various biologically active substances by photosynthesizing microorganisms have been revealed and optimized.
- The main objective of the SC MESCS RA 19YR‐1F051 (2019-2021) “Brewery wastewater treatment by the use of green unicellular microalgae” project is to evaluate the growth and brewery wastewater treatment by Parachlorella kessleri, Chlrorella vulgaris, Chlorella protothecoides and Neochloris oleoabundans microalgae strains in photobioreactors under batch and continuous mode.
- Within the framework of the SC MESCS RA 18T-1F118 (2018-2020) “Study of the systematics and taxonomic affiliation of purple photosynthetic bacteria” project, the systematics and taxonomy of purple non-sulfur and sulfur photosynthesizing bacteria maintained in the laboratory culture collection are being studied. Based on the 16S rRNA gene analysis, species identification and confirmation of taxonomic status of bacteria, comparative and phylogenetic analyses of the studied microorganisms with the establishment of closely related links are being carried out. Besides, their intraspecific and interspecific diversity is being studied, and possible intra-species differences are assessed on the population level.
- Within the framework of the SCS MES RA 16A-1f37 (2017) “Study of peculiarities of 5-aminolevulinic acid biosynthesis by photosynthetic bacteria” project, the exogenous synthesis of 5-aminolevulinic acid by the cells of photosynthesizing bacteria Rhodobacter, Rhodopseudomonas, Rhodospirillum and their mutants obtained as a result of experimental mutagenesis was studied.
- Within the framework of the SCS MES RA 16YR-2I029 (2016-2018) “Study of peculiarities of the secondary carotenogenesis in green microalgae” project, general mechanisms, peculiarities of the secondary carotenogenesis and associated with it morphological and physiological adaptations in green microalgae of Chlorellales, Chlamydomonadales and Scenedesmales orders at different models of the experimental abiotic stress were studied.
- In the framework of the SCS MES RA 13РБ-043 (2014-2016) “Ecological and biological aspects of the research of microalgae and cyanobacteria - producers of unsaturated fatty acids under the action of 5-aminolevulinic esters” project 5-aminolevulinic esters (5-ALA) with different lengths of the alkyl radical of the alcohol fragment were synthesized and characterized using physical and chemical methods. The obtained compounds were studied as one of the growth factors of microalgae and cyanobacteria as well as stimulators of accumulation of polyunsaturated fatty acids in strain-producers. Comprehensive characteristics of microalgae and cyanobacteria have been carried out considering their species specificity, morphological, physiological, cytological, biochemical, genetic and ecological peculiarities as producers of fats and high molecular polyunsaturated fatty acids in photo- and heterotrophic growth conditions as well as under the influence of 5-ALA and its esters.
- Laboratory as a part of the EU leading research institutions consortium has been involved in the HORIZON2020-MSCA-RISE-2015 “People for tHe eurOpean bio-ENergy mIX” - “PHOENIX” project implementation (Agreement No. 690925, 2016-2019). Within the project together with the National Laboratory of Energy and Geology (Lisbon, Portugal), the Department of Biochemical Engineering of the Faculty of Food Technology and Biotechnology of the University of Zagreb (Zagreb, Croatia) and the Department of Chemical Engineering of the Faculty of Applied Sciences of the University of Liège (Liege, Belgium), joint research is being conducted on searching, studying, optimizing the production processes and rational use of biological renewable energy sources.
- SC MESCS RA 19YR-1F051 “Brewery wastewater treatment by the use of unicellular green algae”, 2019-2021 (Project Manager: A. Tsaturyan, PhD).
- FEMS Young Scientist Meeting Grant for International Conference “Power of Microbes in Industry and Environment 2019”, Sv. Martin na Muri, Croatia, May 15-18, 2019 (Grantee: L. Saghatelyan).
- SC MESCS RA 18T-1F118 “Study of the systematics and taxonomic affiliation of purple photosynthetic bacteria”, 2018-2020 (Project Manager: V. Goginyan, PhD).
- SCS MES RA 16A-1f37 “The study of features of 5-aminolevulinic acid biosynthesis by photosynthetic bacteria”, 2018 (Project Manager: B. Harutyunyan, PhD).
- HORIZON2020-MSCA-RISE-2015 “People for tHe eurOpean bio-ENergy mIX” – “PHOENIX”, Project Agreement No. 690925, 2016-2019 (Project Manager: V. Goginyan, PhD).
- SCS MES RA 16YR-2I029 “Study of secondary carotenogenesis peculiarities of green microalgae”, 2016-2018 (Project Manager: A. Tsaturyan, PhD).
- SCS MES RA 13РБ-043 “Ecological and biotechnological aspects of microalgae and cyanobacteria research as producers of the unsaturated fatty acids under the influence of 5-aminolevulinic acid esters”, 2014-2016 (Project Manager: V. Goginyan, PhD).
- ISTC #A-1957 “Isolation and characterization of probiotics selectively growing on milk oligosaccharides”, 2012-2014 (Project Manager: V. Goginyan, PhD).
- Ferreira A., Ribeiro B., Ferreira A.F., Tavares M.L.A, Vladic J., Vidovic S., Cvetkovic D., Melkonyan L., Avetisova G., Goginyan V., Gouveia L. Scenedesmus obliquus microalga-based biorefinery - from brewery effluent to bioactive compounds, biofuels and biofertilizers - aiming a circular bioeconomy // Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, 2019, pp. 13:1169-1186.
- Kalantaryan N.K., Stepanyan L.A., Dadayan A.S., Minasyan E.V., Goginyan V.B. Comparative Characteristics of Green Microalgae Parachlorella kessleri and Chlorella vulgaris as a protein additive // Chemical Journal of Armenia, 2019, 72(3), pp. 249-255.
- Minasyan E., Tsaturyan A., Kalantaryan N., Harutyunyan B. Determination of 5-aminolevulinic acid in liquid cultures of purple non-sulfur photosynthesizing bacteria by high performance liquid chromatography // Chemical Journal of Armenia, 2019, 72(3), pp. 243-248.
- Goginyan V., Eusébio A., Neves A., Marques I.P., Harutyunyan B., Hovhannisyan R., Andreasyan N. Purple non-sulphur photosynthetic bacteria in brewery wastewater during anaerobic digestion // Proceedings of 5th International Conference “WASTES: Solutions, Treatments and Opportunities”, Guimarães, Portugal, 2019, pp. 87-89.
- Калантарян Н.К. Молекулярно-генетическая идентификация одноклеточных зеленых микроводорослей семейства Chlorellaceae // Биологический журнал Армении, 2019, 71(3), стр. 6-13.
- Քալանթարյան Ն.Ք. Parachlorella kessleri կանաչ միաբջիջ ջրիմուռի որոշ արտադրողական հատկությունների բնութագրումը // Հայաստանի կենսաբանական հանդես, 2018, 70(4) էջ. 90-96։
- Սաղաթելյան Լ.Հ., Սարգսյան Ա.Ռ., Գոգինյան Վ.Բ. Կանաչ միկրոջրիմուռներից կարոտինոիդների կենսասինթեզի օրինաչափությունների ուսումնասիրումը // Հայաստանի կենսաբանական հանդես, 2018, 70(2), էջ. 91-95։
- Арутюнян Б.А. Выявление продуцентов 5-аминолевулиновой кислоты среди культур пурпурных несерных фотосинтезирующих бактерий // Биологический Журнал Армении, 2018, 2(70), стр. 6-13.
- Harutyunyan B. Molecular-genetic verification of the taxonomic status of two strains of purple non-sulfur photosynthetic bacteria based on the analysis of nucleotide sequences of 16S rRNA genes // Electronic Journal of Natural Sciences NAS RA, 2018, 2(31), pp. 61-64.
- Mario Novak, Baghish Harutyunyan, Vigen Goginyan, Mladen Pavlečić, Predrag Horvat, Božidar Šantek Influence of initial malate concentration on 5-ALA synthesis during cultivation of Rhodobacter capsulatus B-6508 // Electronic Journal of Natural Sciences NAS RA, 2018, 2(31), pp. 3-7.
- Baghish Harutyunyan, Mario Novak, Mladen Pavlečić, Vigen Goginyan, Ruzanna Hovhannesyan, Inna Melkumyan, Božidar Šantek Influence of glycine, succinate, levulinic acid and glutamate concentrations on growth of purple non-sulfur photosynthetic bacteria and 5-aminolevulinic acid production // International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2018, 7(4), pp. 3839-3846.
- Mario Novak, Mladen Pavlečić, Baghish Harutyunyan, Vigen Goginyan, Predrag Horvat, Božidar Šantek Characteristics and selection of cultures of photosynthetic purple non-sulphur bacteria as a potential 5-aminolevulinic acid producers // Croatian Journal of Food Technology, Biotechnology and Nutrition, 2017, 12 (3-4), pp. 113-119.
- Михальчук А.Л., Рудак Е.В., Курман П.В., Бабицкая С.В., Кисель М.А., Калантарян Н.К., Сагателян Л.О., Гогинян В.Б. Синтез алифатических эфиров 5-аминолевулиновой кислоты и их влияние на рост фототрофных микроводорослей // Вести Национальной Академии Наук Беларуси, Серия химических наук, 2016, 2, стр. 64-68.
- Kalantaryan N., Goginyan V., Saghatelyan L., Harutyunyan B. Composition of fatty acids synthesized by green microalgae Dunaliella salina Pa-018 // Electronic Journal of Natural Sciences NAS RA, 2016, 26(1), pp. 43-48.
- Markosyan L.S., Oganesyan R.S., Melkumyan I.E., Mamyan S.S. Structural peculiarities of exopolysaccharides of phototrophic bacteria Rhodobacter sphaeroides // Bioengineering and Bioscience, 2014, 2(1), pp. 6-10.
- Kozyrovska N.O., Reva O.M., Goginyan V.B., de Vera J.-P. Kombucha microbiome as a probiotic: a view from the perspective of post-genomics and synthetic ecology // Biopolymers and Cell, 2012, 2(28), pp. 103-113.
Abstracts Presented at Conferences
- Saghatelyan L. Microalgae as a prospective source of carotenoids // Book of abstracts of International Conference “Power of microbes in industry and environment”, May 15-18, 2019, Sveti Martin na Muri, Croatia, p. 91.
- Martins P.L., Kalantaryan N.K., Dias C., Goginyan V.B., Duarte L., Pereira H., Reis A., Carvalheiro F. Chemical characterization of microalgae biomass grown in agro-food effluents: first approach on integrated fractionation strategies for biorefinery applications // Proceedings of the 4th Iberoamerican Congress on Biorefineries, University of the Jaén, October 24-26, 2018, Spain, p. 935.
- Kalantaryan N.K., Duarte L., Reis A., Goginyan V.B. The evaluation of the green microalgae Parachlorella kessleri as a feedstock for the biorefinery // Book of Abstracts of the 4th International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Biotechnology: Science and Practice”, September 28-30, 2017, Yerevan, Armenia, pp. 39-40.
- Harutyunyan B. Mutagenesis of purple non-sulfur photosynthetic bacteria Rhodobacter capsulatus and Rhodobacter sphaeroides // Book of abstracts of the 4th International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Biotechnology: Science and Practice”, September 28-30, 2017, Yerevan, Armenia, pp. 12-13.
- Harutyunyan B. Determination of 5-aminolevulinic acid synthesized by purple non-sulfur photosynthetic bacteria Rhodobacter capsulatus and Rhodobacter sphaeroides // Book of abstracts of the 4th International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Biotechnology: Science and Practice”, September 28-30, 2017, Yerevan, Armenia, pp. 50-51.
- Kalantaryan N.K., Goginyan V.B., Saghatelyan L.H. Features of polyunsaturated fatty acids synthesis by microalgae // Book of Abstracts of International Scientific Workshop “Trends in Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology”, October 5-8, 2014, Yerevan, p. 2.
- Kalantaryan N.K., Saghatelyan L.H., Goginyan V.B., Kisel M.A. Comparative characteristics of microalgae growth affected by 5-aminolevulinic acid and its ethers // Book of Abstracts of the 3rd International Scientific Conference of Young Researchers “Dialogues on Sciences”, June 23-26, 2015, Yerevan, p. 38.
Harutyunyan B.A. “Study of biosynthesis of 5-aminolevulinic acid by photosynthetic bacteria”, 2018, 126 p.